These children may also have difficulty being flexible with their thinking and adjusting to change. If these challenges are contributing to difficulties getting along with others and being successful in school, an assessment for Autism may be appropriate. Autism assessments are available for all ages.
Challenges with social skills and inflexible behaviour can result in:
- Low self-esteem
- Social isolation and withdrawl
- Dips in grades
- Difficulties with daily living skills
- Challenges with living independently as an adult
What is involved?
- Parent and teacher questionnaires
- Review of school records
- A play-based interview with the child
- A comprehensive diagnostic interview with the child’s parents/caregivers
- Parents will receive a complete report with the assessment results and recommendations
Often, a learning/psycho-educational assessment is also necessary to complete when looking at possible Autism, as this information will be important for making recommendations about and education programming.